Geoffrey Roper

Born in Nottingham in 1942, Roper studied at Nottingham Secondary Art School then Nottingham College of Art. He attended Edinburgh College of Art as an Andrew Grant Scholar (1960-1962) where he was awarded a Diploma in Drawing & Painting. During this time Geoff won a travelling scholarship and also studied at Hospitalfield, Arbroath in summer 1962.

Awarded an Andrew Grant Post Graduate Year in 1963. Studied under Sir Robin Philipson, PRSA, RA, John Maxwell, RSA and James Cumming, RSA.

Roper has had 45 one man exhibitions since 1964 in the following galleries: William Street Gallery; Douglas Foulis Gallery; David Letham Gallery; Great King Street Gallery; Figurehead Gallery, Leith; Rolls Royce; and the Open Eye Gallery, Edinburgh; the Fine Arts Society in Edinburgh, Glasgow and London; Silver Coin Gallery, Harrowgate; Civic Art Gallery, Middlesbrough; King Street Gallery, Dublin; and Pavilion Croix des Gardes, Cannes.

Publications & Illustrations include: “An Appreciation of Roper’s Work” commissioned for Rolls Royce; “Destiny’s Daughter” R. Galbraith, Mainstream Publications; “Goldsmith and Reekie” Sydney Goodsire Smith, McDonald Publications; “A Suburb of Belsen” Paul Harris, Edinburgh; “Lawful Occasions” A & J Clark, Edinburgh; “Newhall House” David Young; and “A Patron of Art” Royal Bank of Scotland PLC.